Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Only Poor People Ride the Metro"

 
ummm excuse me, Gideon. I ride the metro. Almost daily. It's my only means of transportation.

haha.

This is a DIRECT quote from the owner of where I work - he told one of my coworkers this (who also rides the metro). He drives a brand new Mercedes (bought with cash, of course)...and really has no filter placed on his mouth. But i guess when you're as successful as he is, some sort of entitlement is inevitable...?

My job is full of interesting people, that's for dang sure.


Obelis
Oh-bul-iss
that's how you pronounce it.


I've never worked in a place with so many different kinds of people from different backgrounds, and i really couldn't love it more! Every person has a very distinct, very vibrant, colorful personality. The synergy in the office is so lovely and well meshed. Of course, this starts at the top (well maybe not Gideon, but with his son, Doram, who is a wonderful boss) and trickles down to even the minions interns.  Technically every person in the office are interns, with the exception of Father/Son/Daughter, and two interns who were so amazing they were offered permanent positions. The longest someone has been there is one year, the shortest is the new guys (us) and we leave in a few short weeks.

The building we work in is 100 years old, and looks like it was built yesterday...the entire place has kept the integrity of the wood floors, structure and even windows - but somehow manages to feel brand new. it's actually pretty impressive.

So basically, the internship that (literally 50 people apply for p/year) fell into my lap is a glorified secretarial position. Im busy ALL day. Luckily, there's this darling couple, Eric and Shayly who came (eric had the internship, and shayly got the internship by default like me), and Shayly and I share the overwhelming amount of tedious filing/accounting/customer care/phone calls/collection agency?/HR duties with each other. Luckily Shayly is a doll, which makes the job go by so much faster. They are a newlywed couple that live in Logan.

There are three floors to our office. On the first floor, it's me, Shayly, and Ivan (pronounced eevahhn) who is from Sweeden - we all share this part of the office.



Behind us is Brigham (also lives in utah), Eric, and Paulina from Poland.
Upstairs is the sister - then Nina from  i think slovenia? Dash, an Indian from Kenya, Poseidon (cool name, yes?) an Indian from England, Tadej (pronounced Today) from Slovenia, Lu from Romania, Keiran from London, Geraldine from Belgium.

Then on the third fllor -  in what i call the Rapunzel Tower, Lance hangs out works with Tarun(pronounced Tahroon) an Indian...from i forgot..(sorry tarun!).  I still don't know how to classify lance's job. All i know is that he mostly works with scary Gideon- better him than me. hahah.





Overall, its like a big family at obelis. Everyone genuinely cares about one another. I really feel so fortunate to have landed such an..interesting...job with such wonderful, interesting, lovely people.

3 comments:

  1. I always thought one of the coolest things about Europe was that there are always people from all over, especially young professionals. Its fun to be working with people from many different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole time I was reading this...I was laughing so hard..Everything you said is so true and I love that quote haha I tell everyone about it..Great times with the Obelis Family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing ash... good to see where you work! looks fun! keep posting! I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete